Current Trends in Malaysian’s Green Purchasing Behaviour in Supporting Green Economy Movement


  • Trianna Rosli School of Business Asia Pacific University of Technology & Innovation
  • Yanti Rosli 1School of Business Asia Pacific University of Technology & Innovation


Awareness, Attitude, Environmental quality, Green economy


The Malaysian 2021 Budget reflects the government’s commitment to spurring the green economy with the emphasis to drive public awareness towards environmental conservation agenda despite the Covid-19 pandemic. However, it was recognized that contradictions exist between attitude and customer behavior balancing between lifestyle and environmental issues. Thus, the inconsistencies had created gaps between the two consumer interaction styles which would not be beneficial for market institutions and their customers. Hence, it is important to investigate how consumers interact with the representatives of marketing institutions with the customers’ environmental attitude lifestyle to understand and narrow the green purchasing behavior gap for the survival of the business organizations and the satisfaction of the consumers. Therefore, for this study, a newly developed measurement tool, Environmental Quality Awareness (EQA) was utilized to test the assumptions and to recommend appropriate solutions to narrow the attitude-behavior gap. The research collected 321 Malaysian respondents who are aware of and used household technology products related to the green economy. The data was analyzed using Partial Least Square - Structural Equation Modelling (PLS-SEM) method. The result indicated that 70% of the EQA framework integrated constructs are supported by the relationship of environmental quality awareness and environmental attitude towards green purchasing. The remainder of 30% of the framework shows a non-supportive hypothesis on the relationship of environmental quality awareness towards green purchasing. Hence, the study indicates that when people are aware of environmental quality and possess an environmental attitude towards sustainable performance, they will eventually lead to trust and purchase green products, thus hence supporting the green economy drive.


Download data is not yet available.


Adham, K., Siwar, C., Bhuiyan, M.A., & Aziz, S. (2014). Strategic use of government procurement to spur renewable energy generation in Malaysia. Current World Environment, 9(2), 251-259. doi: 10.12944/cwe.9.2.04.

Barbara M.B. (2001). Structural equation modeling with AMOS, EQS, and LISREL: Comparative approaches to testing for the factorial validity of a measuring instrument. International Journal of Testing, 1(1), 55-86.

Boztepe, A. (2012). Green marketing and its impact on consumer buying behaviour. European Journal of Economic and Political Studies, 5(1), 5-21.

Chan, R.Y., & Lau, L.B. (2000). Antecedents of green purchases: A survey in China. Journal of consumer marketing, 17(4), 338-357.

Han, H., Hsu, L.T.J., Lee, J.S., & Sheu, C. (2011). Are lodging customers ready to go green? An examination of attitudes, demographics, and eco-friendly intentions. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 30(2), 345-355.

Kollmuss, A., & Agyeman, J. (2002). Mind the gap: Why do people act environmentally and what are the barriers to pro-environmental behaviour? Environmental Education Research, 8(3), 239-260.

Mat Said, A., Ahmadun, F.l.R., Hj. Paim, L., & Masud, J. (2003). Environmental concerns, knowledge and practices gap among Malaysian teachers. International Journal of Sustainability in Higher Education, 4(4), 305-313.

McMurray, A.J., Islam, M.M., Siwar, C., & Fien,J. (2014). Sustainable procurement in Malaysian organizations: Practices, barriers and opportunities. Journal of Purchasing and Supply Management, 20(3), 195-207.

Rahbar, E., & Wahid, N. A. (2010). The Malaysian consumer and the environment: Purchase behaviour. Global Business and Management Research: An International Journal, 2(4), 323-336.

Ramayah, T., Lee, J. W. C., & Mohamad, O. (2010). Green product purchase intention: Some insights from a developing country. Resources, Conservation and Recycling, 54(12), 1419-1427.

Simmons, D., & Widmar, R. (1990). Motivations and barriers to recycling: Toward a strategy for public education. The Journal of Environmental Education, 22(1), 13-18.

Sinnappan, P., & Rahman, A.A. (2011). Antecedents of green purchasing behaviour among Malaysian consumers. International Business Management, 5(3), 129-139.

Thøgersen, J., Jørgensen, A.-K., & Sandager, S. (2012). Consumer decision making regarding a “Green” everyday product. Psychology and Marketing, 29(4), 187-197.




How to Cite

Trianna Rosli, & Yanti Rosli. (2023). Current Trends in Malaysian’s Green Purchasing Behaviour in Supporting Green Economy Movement. Journal of Contemporary Issues and Thought, 14(1), 47–53. Retrieved from